Reconstruction and widening of South Old 3C Highway. The need for improvements has been identified due to crash history, lack of pedestrian infrastructure and poor drainage within the corridor.
Project Location and Limits:
Approximately 1.36 miles of South Old 3C Highway (County Road 24) from Mt. Royal Avenue to just north of Freeman Road.
Construction and Road Closure Information
May 25, 2018:
Two-way, one lane traffic will be maintained on South Old 3C Highway through the summer of 2018 while a gas line is relocated in preparation for road work beginning in fall 2018. Flaggers will be in the road directing traffic.
August 15, 2017:
Work on the first phase of improvements to South Old 3C Highway between Mount Royal Ave. and Big Walnut Road are scheduled to begin within the next month beginning with gas line, telephone and power pole relocation. Traffic will be maintained through this phase of the work.
Road work is scheduled to begin in spring 2018 and will include a detour for northbound traffic from Mt. Royal Ave. to Freeman Road. Southbound local traffic only will be maintained through the work zone between Freeman and Mt. Royal Ave.
Project Phasing Update
Based on cost escalation on other Delaware County project and re-prioritization of projects, the proposed improvements to South Old 3C Highway are being split into 2 or more parts.
Part 1 will include reconstruction of Old 3C from just north of the Mt. Royal intersection to just north of Freeman Road and is scheduled to begin in late 2017 and be complete by fall 2018.
Part 2 will include a reconfiguration of the intersection at Mt. Royal Avenue including a hybrid roundabout/turnaround located north of the intersection of Mt. Royal Avenue and Old 3C Highway. Westbound traffic on Mt. Royal destined toward SR 3 or the UDF will turn right, and then U-turn just north of the intersection, returning to the intersection at SR 3. This work is tentatively planned for 2020 or beyond as budget permits.
An information sheet with the proposed project phasing is shown below:
- Based on feedback received from the public, the preferred alternative for this project is a hybrid of Alternatives 2 and 3.
- The intersection at Mt. Royal Ave. and South Old 3C will be a roundabout, located north of the ponds at Orchard Lakes. Full access will be maintained to and from Frost Road via the roundabout. There will be minimal impact to the existing ponds.
- The southern portion of the South Old 3C corridor from Mt. Royal Ave. to the Genoa Grove Condominiums will use Alternative 2, which is a 2-lane curb and gutter section with a sidewalk on the east side only.
- The northern portion of the corridor from Genoa Grove Condominiums will use Alternative 3, which is a 3-lane curb and gutter section with a sidewalk on the east side only.
- An actuated traffic signal will be installed at the Genoa Middle School/Hawskbeard Drive intersection with South Old 3C Hwy.
- The existing pavement will be resurfacced from Freeman Road to Big Walnut Road with no other changes in this section.
Exhibits from the November 14, 2012 public meeting are available below.
Alternative 2 and 2A
Alternative 3 and 3A
Design engineering: 2012-15
Right-of-way acquisition: Fall 2016 to Spring 2017
Utility relocation: Spring 2017 to Summer 2017
Construction: Summer 2017 to Fall 2018
Construction and right of way plans were prepared by American Structurepoint, Inc. of Columbus, Ohio.
George J. Igel & Co. of Columbus, Ohio is the prime contractor.
Estimated Project Cost
The estimated construction cost for Phase 1 is $5.8 million.
Questions or Comments?
Your comments or suggestions are important and the Delaware County Engineer’s Office would like to hear from you about the project. Please contact Rob Riley, Chief Deputy Engineer at 740-833-2400 or send your questions or comments to email@example.com.